Ens. England
Ship Pictures
Crew Pictures
Below Decks
Top Side
Other Ship Information
Information Needed
Other Ships
Operation King
Deck Log
Ship's Store


Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History

John Charles England was born in Harris, Mo., on December 11, 1920. He enlisted in the Naval Reserve on September 6, 1940 and was commissioned ensign on June 6, 1942. On September 3, 1941 he reported for duty on the USS Oklahoma (BB-37) and was killed in action during the Japanese attach on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1942.
ENGLAND (DE-635) was launched 26 September 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. H. B. England, mother of Ensign England, and commissioned 10 December 1943, Commander W. B. Pendleton in command. ENGLAND arrived at Espiritu Santo 12 March 1944 from San Francisco, Pearl Harbor, Funafuti, and Guadalcanal. She took up escort duty between Espiritu Santo and Guadalcanal,  occasionally sailing to Noumea, and once to the Marshalls.

On 18 May 1944, with two other destroyers, ENGLAND  cleared Port Purvis on a hunt for Japanese submarines during  a passage to Bougainville. During the next 8 days, she was  to set an impressive record in antisubmarine warfare, never  matched in World War II by any other American ship, as she  hunted down and sank I-16 on 19 May, RO-106 on 22 May,  RO-104 on 23 May, RO-116 on 24 May, and RO-108 on 26 May.  In three of these cases, the other destroyers were in on the  beginning of the actions, but the kill in every case was  ENGLAND's alone. Quickly replenishing depth charges at  Manus, ENGLAND was back in action on 31 May to join with  four other ships in sinking RO-105. This superlative  performance won for ENGLAND a Presidential Unit Citation, and the assurance from the Chief of Naval Operations,  Admiral E. J. King, "There'll always be an ENGLAND in the United States Navy." His pledge was fulfilled 6 October 1960, when DLG-22 was assigned the name ENGLAND [see USS ENGLAND DLG/CG-22].

Through the summer of 1944, ENGLAND sailed throughout  the northern Solomons, providing the escort services necessary for the building up of bases, preparations for the   renewed assaults on Japanese territories to the north, and provision of supplies to garrison forces on the islands of  the southwest Pacific. In August, she underwent repairs at Manus, and between 24 September and 15 October voyaged from the Treasury Islands to Sydney, Australia. From the Treasuries, she sailed guarding a convoy to Hollandia, where  she arrived 18 October, and on the 26th got underway on the first of two voyages to escort reinforcement convoys to  newly invaded Leyte. She returned to Manus and local escort duty 2 December.

From 2 January 1945, ENGLAND escorted convoys between   Manus and Ulithi, the major base for operations of the  carrier task forces, and later to be the staging point for  the assaults on Iwo Jima and Okinawa. The escort vessel sailed to Kossol Roads in February, bringing in a convoy later routed on to the Philippines, then resumed her duty on the Manus-Ulithi sealanes. She sailed from Ulithi 23 March for the preinvasion bombardment of Okinawa, returned to Ulithi to join the screen of two cruisers, guarding them back to Okinawa to join the 5th Fleet just after the initial assault on 1 April. Between 6 and 17 April, she voyaged to Saipan screening unladen transports, then took up a  screening and patrol station north of the Kerama Retto.

On 9 May 1945, while on station, ENGLAND was attacked  by three Japanese dive bombers. Her antiaircraft fire set  the first of these flaming, but at about 1845 hours the plane crashed ENGLAND on  her starboard side, just below the bridge. The kamikaze  pilot had remembered his instructions to knock out the  ship's nerve center and kill as many as possible of her  officers. With the bomb of the plane exploding just after  the crash, ENGLAND's men began a dangerous race against  time, to quench the fires and save their ship, while combat air patrol shot down the two other attackers.  She was able to make Kerama Retto under tow, with 37 of her men killed or missing and 25 wounded. [She was towed by the tug Gear, accompanied by the mine sweeper USS Vigilance and  USS Gherardi DMS-30 (ex DD-637)].

ENGLAND sailed on to Leyte, where she received  temporary repairs to put her in shape for the long voyage home. On 16 July 1945, she arrived at Philadelphia for permanent repairs and conversion to a high-speed transport (APD-41). The end of the war, however, halted this work, and she was decommissioned 15 October 1945 and sold 26 November 1946.

In addition to the Presidential Unit Citation, ENGLAND   received 10 battle stars for World War II service.