Ens. England
Ship Pictures
Crew Pictures
Below Decks
Top Side
Other Ship Information
Information Needed
Operation King
Deck Log
Ship's Store


DE-633 USS Foreman

  • Displacement: 1,400 t.
  • Length: 306
  • Beam: 37
  • Draft: 95
  • Speed: 24 k.
  • Complement: 186
  • Armament: 3 3; 3 21 torpedo tubes;8 depth charge projectors;
    2 depth charge tracks;1 hedge hog
  • Class: BUCKLEY

FOREMAN (DE-633) was launched 1 August 1943 by  Bethlehem Steel Co.; San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by  Miss Nadine Foreman, sister of Ensign Foreman; and  commissioned 22 October 1943, Lieutenant Commander C. A. 
Manston, USNR, in command.

FOREMAN arrived at Funafuti, Ellice Islands, 28 January  1944 to begin 9 months of convoy escort duty in the  southwest Pacific. She guarded the movement of men and  supplies as well as of larger combatant ships in the lengthy  series of operations necessary to consolidate Allied control  of the northern Solomon Islands and western New Guinea.  Several times she also served on antisubmarine patrol.  Sailing for Sydney, Australia, for upkeep 29 September,  FOREMAN returned to Hollandia 18 October, and put to sea 26 
October to escort two hospital transports to newly assaulted  Leyte, arriving 30 October. One of the transports was  completely loaded that day, and before midnight, FOREMAN and  she sailed for Kossol Roads.

After escorting a resupply convoy to San Pedro Bay in  the first week of November 1944, FOREMAN began duty  escorting combatant ships, auxiliaries, and merchantmen  between the Manus base and Hollandia, Eniwetok, Majuro, and  Ulithi. From 9 to 19 March 1945, the escort served as station ship at Kossol Roads, then sailed to Ulithi to stage for the attack on Okinawa.

FOREMAN sortied from Ulithi 21 March 1945, and arrived  off Okinawa 25 March. The next 5 days she spent with a fire support unit bombarding the island in anticipation of the landings on 1 April. On 27 March, when her task force first came under air attack, she fired on a Japanese plane which  crashed close aboard on her bow, inflicting no casualties. 

After the landings, FOREMAN was assigned to antisubmarine  patrol off the entrance to the transport anchorage at Kerama  Retto. Here, on 3 April, she suffered a direct hit when a  lone enemy bomber attacked her. The bomb passed through her  bottom to explode about 30 feet below. All power and light  were lost, and one of her firerooms flooded to the  waterline, but no men were killed. Within 30 minutes,  damage was under control, and repairs had been made to allow  her to make her way under her own power into Kerama Retto  for emergency repairs.

Fully repaired at Ulithi between 17 April 1945 and 29  May, FOREMAN returned to patrol off Okinawa 3 June, 8 days  later shooting down a kamikaze with the aid of a sister  destroyer before it could crash her. On 29 June, she was  assigned to escort duty with a force covering minesweeping  operations in the East China Sea and flying air strikes on Chinese targets, serving with this task force until  returning to Okinawa 16 August for brief overhaul. Escort 
duty from Buckner Bay followed until 26 September, when she  sailed from Wakayama, Japan, with homeward bound servicemen.  Arriving at San Diego 17 October, she disembarked her  passengers and sailed on to the east coast. FOREMAN was  decommissioned at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 28 June 1946.

FOREMAN received five battle stars for World War II service.

Stricken from the Navy Register on 1 April 1965, FOREMAN was later sold.