Ens. England
Ship Pictures
Crew Pictures
Below Decks
Top Side
Other Ship Information
Information Needed
Operation King
Deck Log
Ship's Store


AD-14 USS Dixie

  • Dixie class Destroyer Tender:
  • Displacement: 17,176 tons (full load)
  • Length: 530'6"
  • Beam: 73'3"
  • Draft: 25'
  • Speed: 18.5 knots (max); 12 knots (econ)
  • Armament: 4 5"/38 DP; 4x2 40mm; 23 20mm
  • Complement:
  • Geared turbine engines; twin screws; 11,300 h.p.
  • Built at New York Shipbuilding Co. and commissioned 1940
  • Decommissioned June 15, 1982


with USS Harmon (DE-678)

The second USS DIXIE (AD 14) was built by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation of Camden, New Jersey. Her keel was laid 17 March 1938 and she was launched 27 May 1939, under the sponsorship of Mrs. Andrew Calhoun Pickens, wife of Rear Admiral Pickens. The destroyer tender was placed in commission at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 25 April 1940, Lieutenant Commander George H. Balm, USN, in command.

DIXIE departed Philadelphia on 22 May 1940 for  training and sea trials out of Norfolk and cruised up the New England coast before starting out of Hampton Roads on 20 June for the Pacific. After touching San Juan, Puerto Rico; she transited the Panama canal to pick up Navy men  at San Diego, California, for transportation to Pearl Harbor. Her service in Hawaiian waters was intervened by a
voyage to San Diego (16 September-1 November 1940). Except for this interlude she continued her operations at Pearl Harbor until 5 October 1941, when she sailed to base at San Diego.

DIXIE was in the Mare Island Navy Yard for overhaul when the Japanese struck Pearl Harbor, but assumed the task of readying ships for the Pacific War on 22 December 1941 in San Francisco Bay. She left that port, astern destroyers and other warships which guarded the approaches to the Hawaiian Islands; reinforced the Fuji and Samoan Islands; engaged the enemy in the Battle of Midway. She
also assisted in preparing the fleet for the invasion of the Soloman Islands and departed Pearl Harbor on 17 November 1942 to tend the fighting ships of the South 
Pacific Forces engaged in the bitter fight. Basing her tender operations first in Noumea, New Calendonia, and later Espiritu Santo in the New Hebrides Islands, she  provided thousands of tons of provisions, besides other issues, to the destroyers present. Capable of making  almost any repair to a destroyer, castings were made in her foundry, then machined to the finest precision for fitting into place on the various ships when needed. Forgings, weldings, and lathe work of every description were accomplished to keep the fighting fleet in trim and
her optical shop took on repairs from the largest range finders to the finest watches, chronometers and fire control instruments. Besides this repair work, she 
supplied ammunition and depth charges as well as issue and maintenance of ready torpedoes for the destroyers. Her engineering department supplied electrical power, fresh water, fire and flushing water, steam and lubricating oil to the destroyers alongside with their own engineering plants closed down for repairs. Concurrently she also had the important task of clothing and feeding the men of the destroyers as well as her own ship and provide medical  and dental care in the same fashion. She intervened this service with a brief stay in Sydney, Australia, (16-21September 1943) and shifted her base from Espiritu Santo to Hawthorn Sound, New Georgia, Soloman Islands, on 29 March 1944. Here until 2 June, and, in Purvis Bay (3 June -10 September 1944), she serviced the ships taking part in
consolidation of the Soloman Islands and in the capture of New Guinea.

DIXIE steamed out of Purvis bay on 10 September 1944 for a brief period of drydock repairs at Espiritu Santo, then touched at Mios Woendi, New Guinea 24-28 September 1944 on her way to the great fleet anchorage of Ulithi, Western Caroline Islands. She reached Ulithi on 30 September to service the warships preparing for the invasion of the Philippine Islands. She remained at Ulithi in support of the warships engaged in the liberation of the Philippine Islands until 16 February 1945 when she  sailed to base her tender duties in San Pedro Bay, Leyte. Here she remained throughout the remainer of the war. On 6 september 1945 she was underway to support the  occupation forces in China, touching at Okinawa before her arrival in Shanghai on 22 September 1945.

DIXIE carried on her repair work and other tender  duties at Shanghai until 5 December 1945 when she pointed her weary bow homeward. In keeping with Navy tradition, as she steamed toward the United States she flew a Homeward Bound Pennant, similar in appearance to our national ensign. With one foot of red and white to represent each enlisted man and one foot of material containing a star in
a blue field to represent each officer, the pennant was  1,100 feet long, its heavy silk material being supported in aid by 17 hydrogen-filled gunnery balloons. With this  pennant flying proudly above, DIXIE arrived in Seattle, Washington, 17 December 1945, after almost four straight years of overseas duty.

DIXIE departed San Diego on 20 April 1946 for the  Marshall Islands where she had important duty in  connection with the Atomic experiments at Bikini. She was
present for both atom bomb tests of "Operation Crossbow" and left the area on 1 September 1946 to resume operations at San Diego, California. She made a cruise to the Far  East (3 mar-2 Oct.1947)to support Fleet units at Tsingtao,
relieving Sierra (AD 18) as flagship of Service Squadron Three. DIXIE again arrived in that port from San Diego on 7 March 1949 as the Chinese Communist Army closed in. She departed Tsingtao on 24 May 1949 just before it fell to the communist troops and touched the Alcritty Anchorage off Shanghai on the 26th, only to find that city was also in communist hands. After brief visits to Buckner Bay,  Yokosuka and Hong Kong, she reached Subic Bay 3 July 1949 to act as temporary headquarters for the American Consul and Charge d'Affaires who had been forced to evacuate with other Americans from Canton, China. DIXIE was relieved of her duties in the Far East on 11 September by tender  Paririe and returned to San Diego on the 30th. After overhaul in the Mare Island Navy Yard, she resumed tending operations at San Diego, acting as flagship of Cruiser-
Destroyer Forces of the Pacific Fleet from 4 February to 8 July 1950. The following day she was on her way to the Far East to support the United Nations Forces in their fight  against Communist aggression in Korea

DIXIE arrived in Yokosuka on 27 July 1950, then  shifted to Sasebo, Japan, where she remained tending  destroyers until 27 January 1951. On that day she departed
in company with Battleship MISSOURI, cruiser MANCHESTER  and seventeen destroyers to take part in a bombardment of the east coast of Korea. This bombardment was carried out on 31 January 1951 when DIXIE let go with 208 rounds of  five inch shells on railway installations at Kosong, Korea, where she completely destroyed a warehouse full of explosive material and devasted other industrial targets.She visited Pusan, Korea, (4-5 February) and was relieved
of duty in the Far East by tender PARIRIE on the 5th when she departed for return to the United States. She reached San Diego on 20 February 1951 and again served as flagship of Cruiser-Destroyer Forces of the Pacific Fleet as she 
continued tender duties in that port. A second cruise was made to the Far East in support of United Nations in Korea (21 Jan.-14 Aug. 1952) and she sailed from San Diego on 17 February 1953 for a third cruise from which she returned to San Diego on 9 October 1953. During her service for the United Nations Forces in Korea, she repaired a total of  226 warships representing seven nations. She also rendered medical and dental attention, supplies and provisions,  ammunition and disbursing facilities, as well as numerous other services to these and other ships returning from  combat patrols and missions along the Korean coastline.

DIXIE left San Diego on 9 November 1954 for a tour in the Western Pacific and while at sea on 30 November,  received a message requested from Naval Forces in the  Philippines to answer the SOS of the Philippine motor ship
NAGA, reported aground off Oot Point in Bantayan Bay, Philippine Islands. She altered course and dispatched a  search and rescue to assist the strickened ship. All  passengers and crew members were safely debarked from NAGA, except for one member of DIXIE's search and rescue team who lost his life by drowning. The destroyer tender  arrived in Subic Bay on 2 December 1954 and visited Manila
before sailing for Hong Kong where she arrived on the  22nd. She arrived in Sasebo from the Philippines on 5  March 1955 and supported Seventh Fleet units in the Far  East until 15 April when she departed Yokosuka for return to San Diego on 3 May 1955.

DIXIE earned the Battle Efficiency Competition Award  in 1955. In the following years she continued to alternate her flagship and tender duties at San Diego with tours of service in support of the Seventh Fleet in the Far East, where she served as flagship of Commander Destroyer  Flotilla One. Departing San Diego on 17 January 1956, she spent the greater part of her time in Subic Bay in the Philippine Islands with brief stays at Sasebo and Yokosuka before her return to San Diego on 15 August 1956. She  underwent overhaul in the Mare Island Naval Shipyard (18 April-20 June 1956), followed by another cruise to the Far East and return 18 July 1957-31 January 1958).

DIXIE again sailed to support the Seventh Fleet on 27 December 1958 and returned home to San Diego on 7 August 1959. She celebrated her 20th anniversary of commissioning on 25 April 1960 and was underway from San Diego on 7 July to base her tender service to the Seventh Fleet at  Yokosuka where she again was flagship for Commander  Destroyer Flotilla One and staff. The DIXIE basketball team ushered in the new year by defeating the team of the USS St.Paul (CA 73) to win the Seventh Fleet Basketball Championship in January 1961. On 24 January she departed Yokosuka for her home port of San Diego, arriving there on 6 February. After a short stay she sailed for the Mare Island Naval Shipyard, arriving on 1 March to commence FRAM MK II Conversion. She celebrated her 21st birthday by undergoing a complete face-lifting, including the 
addition of a new helicopter flight deck and hanger area, which necessitated the removal of mounts 53 and 54. Her modernization gave her capabilities for maintenance and repair for the latest weapons systems, including DASH  and ASROC, as well as increased efficiency and livability. With her conversion completed, she sailed from Vallejo  on 27 June, arriving in San Diego on 5 July to assume duties as flagship for Commander Cruiser-Destroyer Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet and tending of First Fleet destroyers. DIXIE spent the remainer of 1961 performing these duties and preparing for deployment with the Seventh Fleet again
early in 1962.

On 2 February 1962 DIXIE departed San Diego for her next Far East deployment, which was to last until 25 September 1962. During this tour in the Western Pacific, DIXIE again earned the Combat Efficiency Award for tenders in CRUDESPAC. One of the contributing factors to the  receipt of this award was the simultaneous refueling and high-lining of two destroyers at sea. The destroyers
involved were USS COLAHAN (DD 658) and USS LAWS (DD 558). This was an operation never before accomplished by a  destroyer tender.

On February 1962 DIXIE affected a rescue at sea of a  34 foot sailing yawl 180 miles south of Tokyo, Japan. The yawl owned by J.D. Challinar, QMC (ret), was sighted at 0630 after having been in 14 foot seas for 14 days.

DIXIE also transported 30 tons of HANDCLASP material for distribution to authorities in the Far East. On 14 April 1962 she completed construction and installed two 1,200-gallon fresh water tanks for use by St. Joseph's Elementary School, Olongapo, Zambales, Philippines. On 16-17 May 1962 DIXIE embarked the U.S. Ambassador to  Japan and U.S. Naval Attache for the purpose of taking
part in the 23rd Black Ship Festivities at Shimada,  Japan. Change of command ceremonies were held on board DIXIE on 8 July 1962 when Captain Neil H. Fisher relieved Captain Bryan H. Smith as Commanding Officer.

Dixie ended her tour of duty in the Far East on 9 September 1962 when she was relieved by sistership PARIRIE (AD 15). She returned to San Diego on 25 September 1962  to again take up the duties of tender and flagship for

Following several months of tender servicing in San Diego during early 1963, DIXIE departed the California  port 27 May 1963 for a short cruise to Seattle, Washington and tender availability for several Reserve training destroyers there. Enroute to seattle, DIXIE was called upon to affect the rescue od an injured sailor,
Charles Cox, ENFN, aboard the Radar Ship USS PICKET  (AGR 7) some 200 miles off the coast of Washington state in the rough waters of the North Pacific. Successful transfer of the injured man from PICKET to DIXIE took place in heavy seas and the tender steamed on to Seattle, arriving as scheduled. The sailor was transferred in  "good condition" to an Army hospital there.

During the Seattle visit, change of command ceremonies were held on board DIXIE 8 June 1963 when Captain Arthur Parris relieved Captain Neil H. Fisher as Commanding  Officer. Captain Parris had been Executive Officer on DIXIE in 1959-60. DIXIE departed Seattle for return to  San Diego on 15 June 1963. With brief stays at Seal Beach, California and San Francisco, she arrived in San Diego on 22 June to resume tender duty and ready herself for  another tour in the Western Pacific.

On 1 August 1963 DIXIE once again departed San Diego for the Wester Pacific and a deployment which would last until 6 February 1964. After a stop at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, she arrived at Fleet Activities, Yokosuka, Japan, on 19 August, relieving tender PIEDMONT (AD 17) in repair services for the Seventh Fleet, and as flagship for  Commander Destroyer Flotilla One.

The WestPac stay, which included a good will side trip to Hong Kong, BCC, in November, saw DIXIE active in many fields. Early in the deployment 19 DIXIE boilermen, boilermakers, and machinist mates were given a special commendation by the Commanding Officer of USS SOUTHERLAND (DD 743) for "superhuman" efforts in affecting repairs to the engineering plant of the destroyer. A CRUDESPAC record was set by DIXIE during the tour when she accomplished the regunning of destroyers FRANK B. KNOX (DDR 740) and USS MANSFIELD (DD 728) in four and six hours respectively. In the area of "people to people" relations, DIXIE took the Japanese orphans of the Kobo Aiji-En Home, near Yokosuka, under her sponsorship. The 42 small children were  entertained by DIXIE on three occasions: the annual Oiso Long Beach Picnic; a Thanksgiving Party; and a Christmas Party. Men of the DIXIE also volunteered their time and
services in assisting in repairs and construction at the Japanese Orphanage.

In January 1964, enroute home to San Diego from the Western Pacific, where she was relieved of her Seventh Fleet duties by PARIRIE (AD 15), DIXIE learned that she had won the coveted "E" for Battle Efficiency a second consecutive year in the 1962-63 CRUDESPAC tender  competition, thus qualifying for a hashmark to be  displayed beneath the battle "E" she had won in 1962. After a brief stop at Pearl Harbor, DIXIE arrived as scheduled in San Diego on February 6, 1964.

April brought another award to the credit of the  DIXIE. Good food, properly served, and unusually clean  conditions, earned DIXIE the NEY Award. DIXIE won over
CRUDESPAC ships serving 300 or more men.

Seven destroyers tied alongside kept the DIXIE's repair department going full blast during May.  Servicing seven destroyers at one time is an unusual 
occurrence, even for DIXIE.

Also during May, the 1963 FORCE ATHLETIC TROPHY winner was announced. This was the second consecutive year that DIXIE copped the trophy over the other tenders of the Pacific Fleet.

A change of command ceremony was held June 27, 1964 aboard the DIXIE as Captain E.L. Sumrall, USN, formerly assigned to the Army Desert Test Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, relieved Captain Arthur Parris, USN, as commanding officer.

As flagship for CRUDESPAC, the DIXIE was host to Rear Admiral Marshall E. Dornin, USN, from May until July, when DIXIE left San Diego for Todd Shipyards, Long Beach, Calif. 

On November 3, 1964, the DIXIE deployed for duty in the Western Pacific. DIXIE serviced the Destroyers of  CRUDESPAC in Subic Bay, Hong Kong, and Yokosuka, and  participated in operations in the South China Sea in support of COMSEVENTHFLT units.

DIXIE returned to the states on May 8, 1965, and  became the flagship of Rear Admiral W.H. Baumberger, Commander Cruiser-Destroyer Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet on 1 August 1965/

Captain E.L. Sumrall was relieved by Captain W.J. Coleman in change of command ceremonies aboard the DIXIE on 1 October 1965 at San Diego, California.

The DIXIE, under command of Captain Coleman, left pier 6, U.S. Naval Base, San Diego, on January 25, 1966, and headed Southwest on a course for Hawaii. It was not a  smooth trip; DIXIE plowed through waves 13 feet high and was buffeted by winds of 30 knots. The Pacific crossing took 18 days including a stopover at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, where Cdr W.L. Bushy was relieved by Cdr. A.G. Henry as Executive Officer of the DIXIE.

February 13, 1966 saw the DIXIE nosing into the Naval Base at Yokosuka, Japan. Work prders from the USS MATHEWS (AKA 96) were waiting and provided the official beginning of the DIXIE's mission in the Far East. While in Japan the
DIXIE basketball team scored often and was invited to  remain in Japan to participate in the COMFLTACTS and COMNAVFOR JAPAN tournaments when the ship left on february 24, 1966. In Kaohsiung, Taiwan, the DIXIE relieved the
PIEDMONT (AD 17) and began work on Destroyers from the  Taiwan Straits Patrol. The ship already had in little over a month , logged 7,300 miles. The softball season opened while the DIXIE Rebels started a string of excitation
games. Project Handclasp distribution began in earnest as DIXIE sailors journeyed to villages and mountain hamlets to visit hospitals and orphanages.

DIXIE headed south once more on Mar 18, 1966, arriving in Subic Bay, Philippines, to begin a two month period of ship tending. Destroyers from the war zone came alongside, including the USS PORTERFIELD (DD 682) whose worn out "5" guns were completely replaced in just one day. The softball team met and defeated teams from the USS MARKAB (AR 23) and the USS ENTERPRISE (CVA(N) 65).

The AD 14 slipped out of Subic Bay just ahead of Typhoon Irma on May 16, 1966. She headed for Hong Kong for a week of rest and relaxation. On May 21, 1966, tragedy struck as Huston Gilman, ET2, succumbed to a heart attack while on
watch on DIXIE's quarterdeck. His was the third death of the cruise; DIXIE crew members Henry Fleming, BT2, and Keith Lynch. MM3, had died on March 22, 1966, while the ship was in Subic Bay.

May 24, 1966, saw DIXIE once again putting into Kaohsiung, Taiwan, but her stay was brief. DIXIE set to  sea again shortly after arriving, for typhoon evasion, as
Typhoon Judy approached Taiwan. The DIXIE spent four days at sea then returned. While in Kaohsiung the DIXIE shared the harbor with USS OKLAHOMA CITY (CLG 5) which carried COMSEVENTHFLT, VAdm J.J. Hyland, USN, and his staff. When the DIXIE left Kaohsiung on July 3, 1966, she had serviced 20 Seventh Fleet ships in the harbor.

During a brief stopover at Yokosuka, Japan, the DIXIE welcomed aboard her adopted sister, Noriko Shimizu, an 11 year old Japanese orphan supported by contributions from the DIXIE crew members.

On July 30, 1966, the DIXIE left Yokosuka and headed for home. Her return voyage was shared by the USS EVANS (DE 1023), which she refueled and replenished during the two week trip. DIXIE's 1966 WESTPAC Cruise officially
ended on the morning of August 13, 1966, as she entered San Diego Harbor and became the flagship of COMCRUDESPAC, RAdm W.H. Baumberger, USN.

Captain W.J. Coleman, USN, was relieved by Captain W.L. Wilder, USN, in changer of command ceremonies aboad the  DIXIE on November 4, 1966 at San Diego, California. At year's end, DIXIE played host to officers and men of the
Royal Canadian Navy when HMCS BEACON HILL visited San Diego.

During 1967, DIXIE continued providing repair and supply support to the destroyers of the U.S. Pacific Fleet. She began the year by tending destroyers for two months in Long Beach. Returning to San Diego, DIXIE again provided services in her home port until her departure for the Western Pacific in late April. Upon completion of a five month tour of duty with Task Force 73, DIXIE returned to 
San Diego on 31 October and resumed tending duties until year's end. Highlight of the many proud achievements for DIXIE during the year was the winning of the Battle Efficiency "E" for CRUDESPAC large tenders. In addition, the Operations Department was awarded the departmental "E" for excellence.

On 12 January 1968 the DIXIE commenced a yard period at Long Beach, California. Upon completion of the overhaul on 18 April 1968 the DIXIE returned to San Diego to once again commence tender duties. While stationed in San Diego
the DIXIE also served as the Flag Ship for COMCRUDESPAC, RAdm. M.B. Freeman, USN.

Captain L.A. Wilder, USN, was relieved by Captain J.E. Renn, USN, in change of command ceremonies aboard the  DIXIE on 21 June 1968 at San Diego, California.

On 9 August 1968 DIXIE was underway once again for  Subic Bay, arriving there on the 3rd of September after a brief stop at Pearl harbor, Hawaii. In September, DIXIE proudly painted on her first hashmark underneath her Battle Efficiency "E".

On 2 October DIXIE departed Subic Bay for a brief "R&R" visit to Hong Kong, returning to Subic Bay on the 20th of October. The fiscal year 68 Operations "E" was again awarded to the DIXIE during the month of November.

DIXIE departed for her return voyage to San Diego, Calif., on 3 December. After numerous diversions and  experiencing five gales and one storm enroute, DIXIE
arrived in San Diego Sunday morning the 23rd of December, one day behind schedule. The remaining portion of the year was spent in a leave status.

The beginning of 1969 brought the return of the working routines to the DIXIE crew and the honor of serving as  Flagship to COMCRUDESFLOT 11, RAdm H.H. Anderson, USN.

DIXIE once again deployed to WESTPAC on 11 August 1969 and arrived in Subic Bay, Philippines on 2 September after a brief stop over in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Shortly after arrival, Captain Paul H. Dallmann, USN, relieved Captain John R. Renn, USN, as DIXIE's commanding officer. During her stay, DIXIE became the temporary flagship for COMCRUDESGROUP 7TH FLEET, RAdm H.H. Anderson, USN.

On 5 November, DIXIE sailed for a brief "R&R" visit to Hong Kong, and on 15 November, departed for Yokosuka,  Japan, where shwe remained until 28 January 1970 when she began her return voyage to San Diego. While in Yokosuka, 
DIXIE's crew hosted a Christmas party for Noriko Shimizu and her classmates from the KUFU Kodomoen Orphanage in  Yokosuka, Japan.

On the 12th of February 1070, DIXIE steamed into San Diego Harbor to the cheers of her dependents and a long awaited rest. On the 18th of February, DIXIE became the Flagship for COMCRUDSEPAC, RAdm Douglas C. Plate, USN.

DIXIE remained in port in San Diego providing tender services to units of the Pacific Fleet until 30 November 1970, at which time she got underway for local operations and an Operational Readiness Inspection, returning to her berth in San Diego harbor on 10 December 1970, at which time Rear Admiral A.G. Esch, USN, Commander Cruiser- Destroyer Flotilla Eleven broke his flag in DIXIE. 31 December 1970 found DIXIE moored in San Diego harbor completing all preparations for deployment to the Western Pacific, scheduled for departure on 5 January 1971. DIXIE commenced 1971 moored at Naval Station San Diego. DIXIE was completing final preparations for deployment to the Western Pacific. Admiral Esch hauled down his flag and DIXIE departed for Pearl Harbor on 5 January arriving on 12 January. On 14 January DIXIE got underway for Subic bay, Republic of the Philippines. An engineering casualty late that night forced the DIXIE to return to Pearl Harbor for Emergency repairs. On 18 January, DIXIE again set out for Subic Bay, arriving there on 2 February. DIXIE remained there until 5 April when she visited Hong Kong with 93 dependents and Department of Defense sponsored civilians embarked for Rest and Recreation. After six days in Hong Kong, DIXIE returned to Subic Bay, arriving there on 15 April. On 25 April 1971, DIXIE celebrated the commencement of her 31st year of continuous active service. On 25 May, DIXIE got underway for Sasebo, Japan where she provided valuable services to destroyers in the area. On 18 June DIXIE was underway for Yokosuka, Japan, arriving there on 20 June. On 23 June, the USS Prairie (AD15) relieved DIXIE of her WestPac duties and assumed duty as Commander Task Unit 70.8.1 On 25 June DIXIE sailed for San Diego, arriving in her homeport on 8 July after a remarkably casualty-free, high speed run. After thirty days stand-down period, DIXIE again received destroyers alongside. Rear Admiral R.C. Robinson, USN, Commander Cruiser-Destroyer Flotilla Eleven broke his flag in DIXIE on 19 July. Rear Admiral S.H.Kinney, USN, COMCRUDESPAC, broke his flag in DIXIE on 23 September. On 3 September 1971, Captain J.E. Evans relieved Captain P.H. Dallman as Commanding Officer of DIXIE. DIXIE commenced 1972 moored at the Naval Station, San Diego, heavily engaged in ship tending with Rear Admiral Mark W. Woods, Commander Cruiser-Destroyer Force, Pacific Fleet, embarked. On 25 April, DIXIE celebrated the commencement of her thirty-second year of continuous active service. Her overhaul period began on 24 June and on 29 June Rear Admiral Woods hauled down his flag. DIXIE's period in dry dock began 11 July and on 16 September, she moved back to the pier for continuing yard availability. During the next six weeks DIXIE succeeded in completing both her overhaul period and her final preparations for deployment to the Western Pacific. DIXIE's post yard shakedown cruise was conducted enroute to Seal Beach on 1 November, where she onloaded ammunition and weapons in record time. Underway from there on the following day, DIXIE set out for a non-stop transit to Yokosuka, Japan. Following her arrival on 17 November, DIXIE remained in Yokosuka providing valuable services to destroyers through the end of 1972. DIXIE commenced 1973 moored at Fleet Activities, Yokosuka, Japan, busily engaged in tending Seventh fleet ships. Additionally, she conducted a period of self-tended availability from 15 January to the time of her departure on 24 February for Taiwan. While maneuvering for mooring position in Kaohsiung harbor on 28 February, DIXIE experienced a minor collision with Orient Overseas Line ship "Hong Kong Success". From then until her departure for Hong Kong on 13 April, DIXIE extended tender services to WestPac ships. During this period the ship was officially visited by Commander cruiser -Destroyer force, Pacific Fleet, Rear Admiral Mark W. Woods, and by the Mayor of Kaohsiung City, and several high-ranking Nationalist Chinese military officers accompanyed him. Following a five day R&R period in Hong Kong, 14-19 April, DIXIE proceeded to Subic Bay, Philippines, for a brief stop to offload weapons on 21 April, then steamed non-stop to CONUS, arriving in San Diego on 10 May. After a thirty day stand-down period, she commenced ship tending at the Naval Station, San Diego. On 20 June, Rear Admiral Mark W. Woods, Commander Cruiser-Destroyer Force, Pacific Fleet, broke his flag in DIXIE. DIXIE continued to serve proudly as Force flagship and to provide valuable services of repair to destroyers through the end of 1973. On 8 August, Captain J.E. Evans, USN, was relieved as Commanding Officer of the DIXIE by Captain Daryl O. Maxwell.

Dixie received five battle stars for Korean War service.